3.21.2011

Happy Spring (March Dress-up Challenge: Submission)

Happy Happy Spring.... I'm officially putting the snow shovel away... do you hear that winter? It's OVER!

So.. lots of catching up to do.

First.. Late again, but First, let's talk about this month's Dress-up Challenge, brought to you by the ever lovely Angela of Sew Loquacious!  Follow the link to view all the other amazing entries for March's challenge.... Pop Art


My first thoughts were of fashion... yeah, yeah, surprise surprise

and who was the fashion icon of the 60's? of course it was TWIGGY!  and... she was often photographed by and with Warhol








































I really like the clean lines of the 60's and early 70's, with influences ranging from the space race to architectural minimalism.  Twiggy's androgynous figure perfectly complimented the sheaths and a-line silhouettes of the time.




Then....I remembered that Mondrian dress... 1962 by Yves St. Laurent






















and the see-through raincoat from Bladerunner  .... still following?




Photograph by Mark Christie (c) all rights reserved.
Click photograph to link to Mr. Christie's FlickrStrm






and I thought... how about a see-through vinyl dress in the Mondrian style with pockets to add pop-art images... how cool would that be?! So, then I was browsing the internet looking for examples of pop art in fashion, and stumbled on this blog:  I am the Child of the Moon


















This is a great collection of images culled from all over the web.  First, some 60's outfits....






















and I'm thinking, great, this will illustrate the era nicely, put some modern pieces using pop art imagery... even a retro flare cut to the soup can and Warhol dresses in my web discussion...









































And oh, so fashionable...






















And then I was like, cool... 60's shoes in plastic boxes! and then...





















and then,  Hand on hip, I said to the computer, Really, REALLY, you've got to be kidding...






















It's already been DONE? and full size too?

Heckerdoodles! 

So... since it's so late in the month, I decided to stick with my original idea even though it's been done, and once again, there's nothing new under the sun, and the idea is not that showy. (drama queen that i am)






First... draping a poseable manequin is more difficult than I thought... so small, so unforgiving!






















But, so cute when paired with a little fake measuring tape....






















Vinyl supply... saved from sheets and shower curtain purchases...


I have to say that sewing on see-through vinyl with see-through thread is a challenge... especially when the bobbin snags every few inches or so...

















But, once I started putting the little pieces of paper in the pockets, it began to take shape...















And then...

here's how it looked flat, prior to assembly and below shows the process of fitting it together from the back






And here she is, and I learned that you can not expect to sew a tiny vinyl dress together backwards, dismantle and re-sew it together correctly and have the the same integrity thoughout.... her left shoulder is held together with some trusty double sided tape, but who's gonna tell?






Thanks for viewing and ... click here to see all the other amazing submissions!

Take care, and Happy Happy Spring!













8 comments:

  1. UAUUUUU...que linda produção!!!
    amei amei amei!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Sewing the transparent stuff must have been a nightmare and if you hadn't told us about the DST we certainly would never have guessed!! Those were the days.... had a Twiggy haircut too you know!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love your dress... and thanks so much for visiting mine too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome, Liza! You are just amazing. I love how you led up to the dress by first showing your research and also the steps you took to put your dress together! Love it!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Liza,
    Don't forget to link your dress post to the March dresses post here:
    http://sewloquacious.blogspot.com/2011/02/march-dress-up-pop-art.html
    So everyone else will see your link and head over here. :)
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so 60's and Twiggy. I was so young ... You have done a very special work. I just like this elegant dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! And I love how you took us through your creative process. Oh my - I'm showing my age to say that I do remember that time well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HELLO LIZA!!
    I LOVED,LOVED,LOVED SO MUCH YOUR DRESS
    SO BEUTIFUL!!!
    THANKS FOR COMING IN MY BLOG AND SORRY MY POOR ENGLIHS.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...